1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How much should I expect to pay for my first mods? First vehicle

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by newbie003, May 1, 2024.

1. May 1, 2024 at 9:12 AM
    newbie003

newbie003 [OP] New Member

Member:
    bc canada
    I want to buy my first 4runner I am really confused which one to go for. I like the reliability and build of 4r. I am thinking of modifying it. how much is it going to cost for modifications and is it worth it? the goal is to look badass and go off road but mostly to look badass;) it's gonna be my first car I've ever owned from bc, canada Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 7.22.03 PM.png Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 9.10.20 AM.png

Last edited: May 1, 2024
    Chozen and Bob like this.
  2. May 1, 2024 at 9:25 AM
    ID_Yeti

ID_Yeti New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 ORP
    What is your end goal and use case (rock crawling, FS roads, looking badass at Costco)? We need to know that info to direct better.

Bob and icebear like this.
  3. May 1, 2024 at 9:27 AM
    steelevo

steelevo Not so new anymore...

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner TRD Pro Solar Octane
    Just get a base SR5 4WD and go to town on your mods. Get the OR or ORP if you need a rear locker.

4. May 1, 2024 at 9:28 AM
    newbie003

newbie003 [OP] New Member

Member:
    bc canada
    hahaha, yup badass is the main goal but I might go for off roading once in a while not that much though

5. May 1, 2024 at 9:39 AM
    djdaves

djdaves New Member

Member:
    SEPA
    Vehicle:
    2015 4runner SR5
    lift, wheels, tires, stuff.....

this is what I've done. I don't need a rear locker for "off road" trails and play. I have sunk a bunch of money into the little mods, like lights, wheels, tires, and such. If you want it to look badass, you can do it on a budged if you wanted to. I've tossed around the idea if i "really" needed the expensive lifts, and i don't. Just want the looks. So I have the Eibach stage 1 truck lift. Method 305DB with 285s.

1SilverRunner, Bob and newbie003[OP] like this.
  6. May 1, 2024 at 10:37 AM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    Keep in mind the beautiful instagram pic 4runners have all the popular and expensive mods. To get that look will be some serious coin. A lot of the pretty IG runners seem to be from california, which seems to be a weird place in terms of money. It seems money grows on trees there, but not enough of it for people to afford housing.

A 4runner can look great with a simple 2-3 inch suspension lift, the right tires, and the right wheels.

Off the top of my head… Figure $1000-2000 for decent suspension, $1500-2000 for a nice set a wheels, $1000-1500 for tires, and 500 for chopping the body mounts if you rub. A good armor set would be another 1k, but nobody really looks down there, I don’t think.

Sliders would be $1,000, same for stubby front bumper. A decent looking rear steal bumper will be 2-3k unless you weld it yourself. Closer to 3-4 depending on how many swingouts.

You can spend all the money in the world on lights. Skip them. Or just get fake ones if you don’t actually need to use them.

If you want the IG super wide stance, you’re probably looking at long-travel suspension, which will require so much modification that it will probably end up in the 10s of thousands range, maybe 30k if you want it to not break expensive parts while off roading.

Just about all the common 4runner mods will each add a considerable amount of additional maintenance requirements, so make sure to keep that in mind!

7. May 1, 2024 at 10:45 AM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    4runners would make a great first car if you can afford them. Perfect vehicle to work on yourself. Good skills to develop that can save you a lot of money and headeache over the years.

8. May 1, 2024 at 10:50 AM
    icebear

icebear Recovering Kia Owner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    For your use case I’d say keeping it stock would probably be the best cool-to-cost ratio. (budget in fuel costs too if you’re not coming from something similar in fuel economy)

“Worth it” is really subjective and also depends on the target audience. Those highly lifted, big wheel/low profile tire look has its fans but I don’t think it’ll have many here. (different strokes for different folks and all)

I don’t think mods are remotely worth it for cosmetics-only personally. If you find yourself scraping too much on a trail then a lift to go farther might be worth it if you want to spend the money.

But either way, cha-ching. You can always go more ham later. Worst case if you get tired, solid resale will help.

Chozen likes this.
  9. May 1, 2024 at 10:50 AM
    kolter45

kolter45 Inferno Pro & 4.0 Tacoma

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Inferno Pro & BRM Sport
    Get an SR5 without a sunroof and you should be good. These are solid trucks so anything 60K miles or less is okay to buy

10. May 1, 2024 at 11:23 AM
    coryanderson

coryanderson New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 4x4 - black and tan
    If all you care about is looking cool, then buy a previously modded 4runner. You will save at least 50% on the mods and also not have to deal with installing it.

11. May 1, 2024 at 2:36 PM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro / 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Too many..... Performance: • Magnusum Supercharger • Gibson exhaust with dual black tip • Pedal Commander * PowerBrakes • Suspension – Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back with Medium load coils • Tires: AT3 Faulken Wildpeak – 285/70/17 • Wheels: Relations Race Wheels, RR7-H with -12 offset • Full roof rack and ladder by Westcott Design (removed the stock Yakima basket) • Molle storage panels by Rago fabrication • Front light brackets by Rago • Illuminator light bracket by Rago (roof rack location) Lights • Morimoto front and back with sequential signals • Morimoto fog lights and side mirrors with sequential signals • 40” Baja design light bar for roof rack • 20” S8 Baja design driving combo (winch location) • Squadron sport baja design ditch lights • S2 Chase lights by baja designs (mounted on roof) In the bay: • Odyssey 34-PC Battery • SDQH Aluminum billet battery terminals and bracket • Switch Pro 9100 with aluminum tray • Anytime front and back camera • ARB twin compressor Recovery & Protection: • Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch • Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink • Southern Style Off-road (SSO) low profile bumper • SSO stage 2 high clearance wings • Weekend warrior recovery kit by treaty oak • RCI – skid plates – entire vehicle + catalytic converter protection wings Interior: • Nano Ceramic IR – Avery Dennison Window tint – all windows • Several phone mounts • Upgraded Rear Hatch lift gate struts (ladder is heavy) • Boom blaster horn switch (featuring La cucaracha)
    Looking badass...sounds good and great but the ride quality will be compromised. I think I would just search for what's out there as opposed to do each mod at a time. The fun part on mods is knowing what the vehicle does in it's stock form and then appreciating the mod. Hope you plenty of resources!

12. May 1, 2024 at 5:31 PM
    morfdq

morfdq New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR5 Premium
    TRD Wheels, exhaust and skid plate
    I spent 9k over a year

Eibach Suspension
    Sherpa Crestone Roof Rack
    Diode Dynamics light bar and fog lights
    Rock Sliders
    Recovery shackles
    Rago side window Molle inside and out
    Cat Covers.

13. May 1, 2024 at 8:54 PM
    java

java fauxrunner

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP ice cap
    scoopless hood, debadge, rci skid, hf gun case...
    Off Road does not have rear locker?

14. May 1, 2024 at 9:41 PM
    steelevo

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    The off-road trims do come with a rear locker.

15. May 1, 2024 at 9:56 PM
    icebear

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    I think java's asking about the jump from SR5 to ORP, skipping over the OR but not really a big deal since that's been cleared up

java and steelevo[QUOTED] like this.
  16. May 1, 2024 at 10:28 PM
    steelevo

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Thank you for clearing my head out of my butt. I fixed my original post. Sorry to @java

icebear[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. May 2, 2024 at 11:25 AM
    jharkin

jharkin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Boston suburbs
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black Pro
    Its their first car ever - double all those costs (which sound low TBH - I just paid 1300 ordering a set of Cali Raised Sliders) to add the labor paying a shop to do it.

Oh and if you are just doing it for "the look" remember that the huge tires, lift and wide stance make a pretty slow soft truck drive even worse on road.

McSpazatron[QUOTED] and icebear like this.
  18. May 2, 2024 at 11:46 AM
    1SilverRunner

1SilverRunner My boy, blue

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    Front Bumper: C4 Fabrication Low-Profile Bumper Warn Evo10-S Winch w/ Warn wireless adapter Extreme LED dual color light bar w/ Cali raised LED OEM style switch Bumper Cover Trimmed For Clearance Rear Bumper: 80% Off Road Rear Bash Bar *coming soon Armor: RCI Skid plate package C4 Gas tank skid RCI Rear diff skid RCI Shock Skids RSG Angled/ Plated Sliders Total Chaos Cam Tab Gussets Total Chaos Spindle Gussets Suspension: Dobinsons IMS long travel kit (Front: IMS59-50574 w/ C59-352 Springs) (Rear: IMS59-50575 w/ C59-675v Springs) Apache Off Road UCAs Apache Off Road HD Rear Links (Upper and Lower) Apache Off Road Rear Sway Bar Links Dobinsons Track Bar DuroBumps Rear Bump stops PerryParts Front Bump stops DRKDSS Track Bar Correction kit Dobinsons Diff Drop Wheels/ Tires: RRW 17x8.5 -12 RR6-H Wheels 285/75/17 Falken AT4W 1.25" SpiderTrax Spacers BMC, Pinch Weld Folded. MinWin End Caps Storage Solutions: LFD Cross-Bars Aiden James Customs Gear Plate w/ Slide Out Tables *Backordered, coming soon Rado Designs Molle storage panels and top shelf Glove Box organizer Center Console organizer Performance: Scan Gauge II for Temp Monitoring Yota Shop Diff Breather Interior: Diode Dynamics LED Interior lighting (Warm white ftw) Meso Customs Hatch lights Meso Customs Door Handle Covers Garmin Dash Cam Mini II with Dongar power solution Ram ball mount for Garmin In-Touch Mini II Scosche phone mount Misc: Nano Ceramic Tint (Including windshield and sunroof) Midland MXT575 and Ghost Antenna Cali Raised 27W Ditch Lights OVS Nomadic Awning 6.5' AVS Low Profile Vent Visor AVS Bugflector II Diode Dynamic puddle lights LasFit Reverse lights LED license plate lights Ark Splash Guards Ark Mud Flap Deletes AJT Push-To-Start Button +Midland handheld GMRS radios, Baofeng UV-5R Ham radio, recovery gear, water purification system, lifeboat food rations, trauma kit, fire extinguisher and fire starting kit stay on board.
    Some of my favorite looking 4R's are more simple builds with a very mild lift and 285's.

When I see a fully built out 4Runner I start looking for trail damage. I get a sense of relief when I see a crushed exhaust pipe or some pin striping from trees on a tight trail. It makes me happy to see that it's being used. Otherwise I just don't see the point. It's like buying the four cylinder Supra... Looks fast sure, but its all a lie
    :rant:
    Rant over lol

Spare Parts likes this.
  19. May 3, 2024 at 10:52 AM
    Sin4R

Sin4R New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 Grey Limited
    I wouldn't listen when I was younger, but here is my advice:

Don't waste your money on heavily modifying your car. It is rich person's hobby. Get tires, do all the maintenance and you are good to go. Instead of trying to outspend someone on the internet, invest into experiences. Go overland, take an extra road trip. Your 4Runner is fine as-is to have PLENTY of fun.

20. May 3, 2024 at 11:04 AM
    Sin4R

Sin4R New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 Grey Limited
    I will let you in on a secret. A LOT of car modding is about social status. Sure, some people also go offloading, but even then it is still largely about status. If you dive deeper, it is about signaling success and/or signalling that they still got it.

From your profile and post, I assume you are young and female. Your status already through the roof. Sure, the cool car will give you a bit more, but it is well into diminishing returns. Every single owner of a cool car would gladly trade it to be 20-something again.

icebear and Stoney Ranger like this.
  21. May 3, 2024 at 11:08 AM
    coryanderson

coryanderson New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    San Diego
    Vehicle:

BORING!!

...also not wrong.

22. May 3, 2024 at 7:55 PM
    Chozen

Chozen New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 4Runner ORP
    I’m boring compared to people in here. I love the looks & capability of a stock 4Runner, and the only thing I’d wanna add on in order to max out the “Badass-ness” are rock sliders, better tires, and making it the ORP trim. That’s about my peak. Lol not even bigger tires, just better ones. Having the “ORP” written on the side of it is the extent of my status beacon.

23. May 3, 2024 at 8:02 PM
    Chozen

Chozen New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 4Runner ORP
    I want rear lockers just so I could tell people at Costco that my 4Runner has rear lockers. Oh and also so I can repeatedly pretend (to myself) that I’m about to adopt a lifestyle that calls for a vehicle with rear lockers.

steelevo[QUOTED] likes this.
  24. May 3, 2024 at 8:07 PM
    steelevo

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Those Costco mountains and mall jungles can be treacherous at times.

2Toys likes this.
  25. May 3, 2024 at 8:19 PM
    Chozen

Chozen New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 4Runner ORP
    Lol. I’m like a huge boxing fan who can’t even fight, and doesn’t even know how to throw a punch. I been a fan of the old school 4Runner forever, and I’m gonna buy one now that I know they’re going extinct (well the old school build at least). I can’t TOTALLY say that I just pretend to actually need lockers at some point, who knows I might become possessed with adventurous ambitions after I get one. This forum can get someone fired up for adventures as well!!

steelevo[QUOTED] likes this.
  26. May 4, 2024 at 8:28 AM
    Old Tanker

Old Tanker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Vehicle:
    "Matilda" 2019 ORP
    Front: Hefty. Rear: LFD. Sliders: RSG. Armor: LFD and Bud Built. Tires: KM3. Switchpro.
    Building a 4Runner is a very expensive exercise and there will be consequences from all the suspension mods and added weight. One thing leads to another. Big tires lead to regearing and a lift, armor leads to heavier springs, weight leads to new brakes, lights lead to an expensive switching setup. Setups like those you pictured can double the cost of the vehicle, and make it less drivable on the road. If you don't actually use it, you will end up installing a bunch of stuff you don't understand and can't maintain.

An alternative approach: Buy an SR5, seek out an off-road training course, and learn to drive it off-road. Hang out with a local club that goes on trails rather than rigs and coffee events. Buy affordable mods when required for your use case.

steelevo likes this.
  27. May 4, 2024 at 11:59 AM
    icebear

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    Some folks even take the opportunity to park on the grass at peak times!

Chozen and steelevo[QUOTED] like this.
  28. May 4, 2024 at 12:04 PM
    Static03

Static03 New Member

Member:
    Jacksonville Florida USA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver TRD Offroad
    Bilstein 5100's, 1" Cornfed Rear Spacer, Aluminum Skid Plate, Powerstop Z23 Pads/Rotors, 4WDKING 30" Light Bar, Nilight Ditch Lights, BBG4x4 Front Recovery Points, American Outlaw Gunslinger wheels 17x8.5 -6 Offset with Toyo Open Country AT3's
    Sr5 all day. 4wd, sunroof sounds fun. Later down the road, get a mild lift/level. Throw in some wheels and tires, maybe some lights. I have a trdor and have never, ever, even remotely come close to needing the rear locker.

Old Tanker likes this.
  29. May 4, 2024 at 12:07 PM
    coryanderson

coryanderson New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    That’s called flexing

icebear[QUOTED] likes this.
  30. May 4, 2024 at 12:09 PM
    Chozen

Chozen New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 4Runner ORP
    I do understand that a built up 4Runner can look awesome, but maybe I’m just low maintenance because luckily I actually think that an untouched 4Runner has 95% of the good looks. Combined with what you have said, for me the thought of changing things almost feels like I’m ‘Ruining it.’ Unless of course a person actually needs to tackle obstacles that are beyond the ability of a stock 4Runner that has been left alone.

I’m gonna add rock sliders, and possibly nothing else. And even adding sliders has me thinking that I’m being too crazy & aggressive, and weighing down an already heavy vehicle lol.

Products Discussed in

To Top