1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Subtle floor Vibration- what to check.

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Lc200, Apr 29, 2024.

1. Apr 29, 2024 at 8:08 PM
    Lc200

Lc200 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Pre Facelift SR5P
    So I recently did a complete suspension overhaul on my 2011 SR5.
    Front UCA,LCA, shocks, sway links and bushings and outer tie rod ends. For the rear, shocks, links, bushings.
    Everything OEM and properly torqued.

Got an alignment done. A very slight shimmy at 65 but nothing of concern.

Off- late just started noticing a slight vibration in the floor during acceleration. It's present even when the foot is off the accelerator pedal but is not very noticeable. More pronounced beyond 60mph. It does not travel to the seat or steering wheel and can be felt only under the shoe. The car accelerates fine, no loss in power, the mileage is fine, no other tell tale signs. No error codes.

I got a tire balance done but that did not help. The only thing I did after the suspension job was install OEM skid plates and cleaned the oil/grime stuck on the engine next to the timing tensioner cover because my gasket was leaking and I replaced it. Used Gunk, then sprayed with no pressure water.

Any idea what I should be looking at. The axel shaft is fine and the cv boots are not leaking. I removed the skid plates but the vibration stayed.
    I am not sure where to start looking at.

2. Apr 30, 2024 at 5:39 AM
    Static03

Static03 New Member

Member:
    Jacksonville Florida USA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver TRD Offroad
    Bilstein 5100's, 1" Cornfed Rear Spacer, Aluminum Skid Plate, Powerstop Z23 Pads/Rotors, 4WDKING 30" Light Bar, Nilight Ditch Lights, BBG4x4 Front Recovery Points, American Outlaw Gunslinger wheels 17x8.5 -6 Offset with Toyo Open Country AT3's
    Gonna be honest, it is most likely in your head. Im the same way. After all that work you are probably hyper focused on feel to make sure everything is right, when in fact, the 4runner lets/makes you feel absolutely everything on the road. There are times I feel a weird vibration through my shoe while driving, just to figure out it is the bass from whatever song is playing....on stock speakers. If you torqued everything to spec, dont feel it in the seat, odds are its just a 4runner being a 4runner. Good luck. Only possible thing I could think if there really truely is something wrong would be motor/transmission mounts or possibly Ujoints.

Rocko9999, Lc200[OP] and Slopemaster like this.
  3. Apr 30, 2024 at 7:33 AM
    Lc200

Lc200 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Pre Facelift SR5P
    Thanks for the reply. And I also feel it's in my head. But is it!
    I am also thinking about motor mounts and transmission mount. At 180k, they could be worn off. I did the motor mount test but there was no abnormal lift from the engine. Same with the gear in rear. There was some flex but that's normal.
    I swear it was running fine after the suspension work. But what do I know.

4. Apr 30, 2024 at 9:32 AM
    Static03

Static03 New Member

Member:
    Jacksonville Florida USA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver TRD Offroad
    Bilstein 5100's, 1" Cornfed Rear Spacer, Aluminum Skid Plate, Powerstop Z23 Pads/Rotors, 4WDKING 30" Light Bar, Nilight Ditch Lights, BBG4x4 Front Recovery Points, American Outlaw Gunslinger wheels 17x8.5 -6 Offset with Toyo Open Country AT3's
    If you have the ability, drive someone elses and see how it feels. Honestly with new, well, everything, your rig sounds tighter than its been in a long time. Sometimes new motor mounts will even transmit more subtle vibrations than your used to. 4runners, while reliable, definately pick at the ocd nature of a lot of us gear heads. Sometimes its "just being a 4 runner"

5. May 1, 2024 at 5:37 AM
    3JOH22A

3JOH22A Toyota Gigolo

Member:
    District 6ix
    Vehicle:
    5G 4Runner, 3G Tacoma on 35"s
    Check the all the cab mount bolts are tight and the bushings aren't rotted out.
    Are your wheels OEM or aftermarket? If aftermarket and the hub bores are oversize, check the hubcentric rings are present.
    Do a twist check of both driveshaft U-joints for play.
    Check none of the weld-on balance weights on the driveshaft have fallen off.
    Put the vehicle on a lift or rear axle on jack stands, run the vehicle in Drive at idle speed and visually check if the driveshaft is bent while it's spinning.

If no findings take the driveshaft to a driveline shop to get the balance checked on a machine.

Lc200[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  6. May 2, 2024 at 7:56 AM
    Lc200

Lc200 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Pre Facelift SR5P
    Okay, my damn shoe was amplifying the vibration under my foot and on the accelerator pedal. I drove it again bare foot and the vibration reduced by about 75%.
    It down to a point where I know it's there but it feels something normal on a 13 year old truck than something that stands out.
    I am sure I still have some parts that would probably need to be replaced or checked .

Static03 likes this.
  7. May 2, 2024 at 7:21 PM
    Static03

Static03 New Member

Member:
    Jacksonville Florida USA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver TRD Offroad
    Glad to hear it was no cause for concern. I swear sometimes the more we learn about cars, the more we obsess over what could possibly break next lol

Products Discussed in

To Top