1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is anyone running only a single rear upper link (PRG 4 link concept)

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by jdm-v35, Apr 28, 2024.

1. Apr 28, 2024 at 3:37 PM
    jdm-v35

jdm-v35 [OP] New Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 4runner TRDORP
    Magnuson Supercharger etc.
    I finally had time to install my metaltech rear lower links, and planning to install my rear uppers. I was wondering if anyone is just running a single beefy rear upper link on passenger side to get better articulation?

I know of one person on the other 4runner forum doing it but curious if any others are doing a similar. Here is where they got the concept from:

https://www.prgproducts.com/product-page/fj-4-runner-4-link-kit

The main issue I could see is that the driver side link gets pretty close to the gas tank.

2. Apr 28, 2024 at 3:47 PM
    3JOH22A

3JOH22A Toyota Gigolo

Member:
    District 6ix
    Vehicle:
    5G 4Runner, 3G Tacoma on 35"s
    ^This is often done on Jeep front axles due to packaging constraints with the engine in the way. The axle needs to be trussed to limit torsional deflection, at least with rock crawling-sized tires (37" and larger).

With careful exhaust re-routing, it may be possible to do triangulated 3-link on the Tacoma and delete the panhard bar. Time will tell.

jdm-v35[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  3. Apr 29, 2024 at 4:06 AM
    jdm-v35

jdm-v35 [OP] New Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 4runner TRDORP
    It looks like the PRG solution doesn't really change anything except eliminating the driver rear upper arm and putting in a stronger rear passenger upper arm. I know of one person running a single aftermarket rear upper arm on their 5th gen but was curious if others were doing this as well and any advantages. if this would become a weak point and have no advantages I will just install the set of both uppers on mine.

4. Apr 29, 2024 at 12:01 PM
    3JOH22A

3JOH22A Toyota Gigolo

Member:
    District 6ix
    Vehicle:
    5G 4Runner, 3G Tacoma on 35"s
    ^OEM rubber bushings have too much compliance, so the top of the axle on the driver's side would have too much wobble if you simply removed the driver's side upper link and kept the remaining OEM parts. The PRG solution made it work because all the OEM rubber bushings have been replaced with heim joints. With the small tires most 4Runners run it should be fine, though the unprotected heim joints will probably need yearly replacements if your area gets road salt.

jdm-v35[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  5. Apr 29, 2024 at 12:29 PM
    jdm-v35

jdm-v35 [OP] New Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 4runner TRDORP
    Yea I wouldn't use their solution as I already have the metaltech arms. I already installed the lower links and was just debating whether I should install one or both of the upper links(already have them). The metaltech arms are way way beefier than OEM. It seems like they are twice the diamater and 4x the weight. One end is urethane bushings, other end is a johnny joint. I am really not sure if you gain any extra compliance or ease up any type of binding by installing just the 1 arm. In theory it makes sense but there's no real proof out there and It could become a weak point.

Products Discussed in

To Top