1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Out with the Old.In with the NEW !!...X-Treas Please Help !!

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Limited off-road, Apr 21, 2024.

1. Apr 21, 2024 at 3:38 PM
    Limited off-road

Limited off-road [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alwyn
    Brooklyn,New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 White 4Runner Limited
    Hello everyone as some of you already know that got a pre-owned 2014 4runner Limited @95K Miles on it....I have owned it for 2 weeks now and its running great looks like new drives like new now.im going to take the vehicle for rust proofing soon....there's one major concern that worries there life out of me....particularly the shocks,struts x-treas suspension system.to my bare understanding Limited 4runners usually comes with x-treas by default and that they cause leaks overtime.i have extended warranty on the vehicle.will toyota repair my x-treas due to normal wear and tear ? I'm not an off-roader I bought the 4runner for work commute and light errands around the city.i keep hearing
    about Bilstein brand of shocks should I have them replaced with the x-treas ? I already know know it's $4,000 dollar job to do.but of If go with bilstein brand what are the exact parts I'll need if I'm to replace the entire x-treas? Can I keep some parts of x-treas if they are still good and still use bilstein ? I'm new to all this.so please help me out to understand better.im gonna be taking the vehicle to toyota dealer for an inspection to make sure everything is running good on my 4runner.thanks for any advice....4runner4Life

2. Apr 21, 2024 at 4:26 PM
    2018 Limited

2018 Limited New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BDR
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited
    XReas is a complete and specific system. If it ain’t leaking now and you have a warranty I would be enjoying my new ride. After putting a few miles on the vehicle you will know whether you want to repair/replace the XReas or go rip it out and get something else when that time comes.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2024
    kmeeg and gomiami like this.
  3. Apr 21, 2024 at 4:59 PM
    gomiami

gomiami I Bought a Luxury Station Wagon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    SE of Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2023 Lexus GX460 Nightfall Mica
    Husky front mudflaps, Canvasback full cargo and bench seat liners, "Not legal in California" patch.
    This

4. Apr 21, 2024 at 6:03 PM
    catbrown357

catbrown357 New Member

Member:
    Tempe
    Vehicle:
    2011 Limited 4WD
    Let me get this straight. You bought a used 4Runner with 95,000 miles on it, and only NOW you're taking it for an inspection? The prudent thing to have done would have been to do a PPI (pre-purchase inspection). What happens when the stealership tells you that you need a new hypoid gear set for $2500? Or some new timing chain guides for $1700? These are purely hypothetical, but I hope you see my point. What you're doing is akin to wiping your ass before you take a shit. Makes no sense. Take it to an independent shop to try to get as unbiased opinion as possible. As far as the XREAS system goes, mine started leaking around 150,000 miles. I never even considered replacing it. I installed an OME (Old Man Emu) suspension system, but Bilstein 5100 is a good option as well.

5. Apr 21, 2024 at 6:48 PM
    runnerjimmy

runnerjimmy Wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Scottsdale Az. Castle Rock Co.
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP Barcelona red
    Fox 2.5 DSC. 2 1/2” front, 2”rear. Falken Wildpeak 255/80/17
    Your second mistake is to take it to a dealer for inspection, after they are done blowing smoke up your ass you will be into it for another $5,000-$10,000. You bought the vehicle because you were confident in it I would guess. I can’t say not taking it in for pre inspection is a problem, as long as you looked it over good physically and paper trail. Time will tell, drive it and see how she works out.

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Cross that bridge when you get to it.

2018 Limited likes this.
  6. Apr 21, 2024 at 8:30 PM
    nova

nova New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Soon Arizona
    Vehicle:
    slightly modified LE
    You should find an independent shop, one with Toyota experience and an off-road bent, to help replace XREAS (when the time comes). Shoddy shops don’t remove the hydraulics and controls. It isn’t hard and a good shop will include that in the bid. IOW, if you’re replacing XREAS, remove the system along with replacing the actual shocks. Doing that extra bit clears the road for other upgrades that involve the frame.

But just drive it if the system is intact! Worry about replacing it when the time comes :thumbsup:

2018 Limited likes this.
  7. Apr 28, 2024 at 11:48 AM
    Limited off-road

Member:
    First Name:
    Alwyn
    Brooklyn,New York
    Vehicle:
    I only took my 4runner to the Toyota dealer for a 2nd oppinion since they are the ones who actually made the 4runner so I thought that would be the smart thing to do.instead they tried to come up with a shopping list of things needed repairs like front and rear brake pads and rotors,left & right sway bars I was so overwhelmed and worried they said the rear differential fluid was black and needed to be replaced the mechanic actually showed me so I agreed to it.then they pointed out that carmax installed the wrong battery in the vehicle.they wanted to replace it for a fee I told them no I'll take the 4runner back to carmax for free replacement.im never going back to the Toyota dealer for any service of anykind.i should of trusted the carmax in the first place he was very honest,never rushed me and took his time to explain to me how a 4runner works no mechanic will do that if ever hardly.i felt bad about the whole situation but in the end who do you trust when every dealer and service center is out to get you ?.... anyway I explained to the carmax what Toyota said and what I did he told me I could of brought the 4runner to him and he would of looked at it if I had any doubts.he was right.he removed the previous batter which was rated for sedans and replaced it with a brand new diehard battery rated for SUVs for free.tomorrow monday morning I have an appointment with him to check everything Toyota said is wrong with the vehicle to see if it's all true or not.and he said he will give me a piece of mind should he see anything wrong....I told him I intend to keep the vehicle because I love it and it drives very smooth and looks new....so all in all I think Toyota was just trying to get me to spend for unnecessary repairs that wouldn't need to until I hit the 100,000 miles coz right now the 4runner is at 95,811.if anything it would be just typical oil change.otherwise I really appreciate the feedback guys I really do I love my 4runner.

8. Apr 28, 2024 at 5:34 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    Sorry you had to encounter the vultures at the dealership. They are NOT the ones who built your 4Runner, only the ones who try to gouge unsuspecting customers like you who bring it in thinking they care about you, just like too many other car dealerships. It's wise to avoid them in the future, and hopefully you can find a trusted mechanic.

9. May 5, 2024 at 4:07 PM
    Greg D

Greg D New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner
    Borla exhaust, Jet MAF sensor, K&N filter, Hayden rapid cool transmission cooler, Hella horns, electric fan, Pedal Commander, Derale power steering cooler,
    Mine was leaking at 150k and kaput at 202k. I replaced with Bilstein 5100s and couldn't be happier. Before I purchased I made sure it wasn't integrated with anything else so I could replace it. Xreas shocks $3200, Bilstein $500 and better ride and handling

10. May 5, 2024 at 4:19 PM
    Agent_Outside

Agent_Outside A Guy A Girl and A Trail

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited
    So Carmax put the wrong battery in it and never serviced the fluids… but they are the ones you “should have trusted in the first place” and the shop that found their oversights are somehow the bad guys you will never go back to?!

:facepalm:

11. May 8, 2024 at 12:40 PM
    Limited off-road

Member:
    First Name:
    Alwyn
    Brooklyn,New York
    Vehicle:
    Look it's hard to trust any dealership & their service department and independent mechanic shops....can you really blame me ? In the end I'm just the owner who wants what's best for the 4runner....besides I'm the one that's driving it and making payments on it.

Ricphoto likes this.
  12. May 8, 2024 at 4:48 PM
    nova

nova New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Soon Arizona
    Vehicle:
    slightly modified LE
    If I were you I’d invest in some basic tools and learn to do the basics yourself. Lots of YouTube videos will help. You’ll be up to speed in no time and feel confident in the work done.

Products Discussed in

To Top